Parks and Recreation
The Museum is maintained by a dedicated group of volunteers and is periodically open to the public. Visit the Pioneer Log Cabin Museum Facebook page for more information.
History of the Pioneer Log Cabin: cabin building day was May 23, 1923. Logs were donated from every Township in Cass County. 146 logs were banked on the ground waiting to be used. Everyone that brought a log was treated to a free chicken dinner. The parade got under way from the Court House at 8:30. School children were given a holiday so that they could participate in the program and see the building of the log cabin. The Cassopolis Military Band led the parade down South Broadway Street to Stone Lake, the site for the log cabin. Charles O. Harmon welcomed the crowd and introduced the speakers: Asa K. Hayden, Village President and Charles H. Kimmerle a citizen. Present was Mrs Addie Tietsort who owned the original parchment deed for the land. It was given to her pioneer ancestors during the administration of President Andrew Jackson in 1831. Julia Tietsort, the first white child in LaGrange Township, was born in a cabin at this site. The program was concluded by the school children singing "America". The workmen had prepared the site by digging trenches around the perimeter and removing topsoil. They filled the trenches with cobblestone and put concrete grout over them for a foundation. Ed Ferguson, an experienced cabin builder, supervised the construction. The first logs were flattened on one side to lay on the wall. A crew of 46 able bodied men assembled for the cabin building. Among those who did the axe work mentioned were Tom Connelly and Mack Weikel. The first black walnut log was rolled into place to the tune of "Home Sweet Home", sung by the school children and accompanied by the Military band. The lumber used in construction represented all species of timber found in Cass County, Michigan. Black walnut boards over 75 years old were used for the doors. Lumber from a 1845 barn was used for the stair rail. The door hinges were made of Hickory. Some logs were cut into boards to use for the upstairs floor. The fireplace made of field-stone and the stick chimney were built by Ack Anderson. Each log had a serial number painted on the end which corresponded to the donor list.
Don Horne ParkDon Horne Park contains approximately 36 acres and is located on M-62 in between Cass District Library Main Branch and Cass Family Clinic. This park has baseball and softball fields, picnic areas, restrooms, playgrounds, and 2 small pavilions. The pavilions are available for rent. Call the Village at 269-445-8648 for more information. A dog park will be added in the summer of 2023!
Clisbee ParkClisbee Park is located at 414 N Broadway and has playground equipment, basketball courts, 2 pavilions, a concrete bowl skate park, paved skills course. There are no permanent restroom facilities. Porta-potties services are available seasonally.
Stone Lake BeachStone Lake Beach is a public beach located on Disbrow St between W Jefferson St and E Water St. It has a 200 ft pier featuring 4 public boat slips, fishing rod holders, and an open end to jump off into the water and ladders to climb back up. The pier is wheelchair accessible with a wheelchair ramp down to the beach. Lounging chairs, swing benches, swing tables, and picnic tables are available for resting. 50 amp 125/250V 14-50R and standard 120 electrical outlets are available for food trucks on Food Truck Row. There is a pavilion/stage with electric outlets and speakers for performances. The concession stand is open annually from Memorial Day-Labor Day for kayak, paddle board, and paddle boats rentals for $5/hour. Thanks to the many generous sponsors of the Life Jacket Program, there are free life jackets ranging in sizes from infant to adult XL that can be borrowed when the concession stand is open.
Please call 269-445-8648 to inquire about booking a food truck or renting the pavilion.